Heavy duty bags are needed in many different industries and have many different uses, which is why there are so many types of these bags available.
Not all heavy duty plastic bags are equal and it is advisable to align your business with an expert in the market like Poly Pak America who has a long standing reputation of high quality and service levels in order to be sure the product you buy will meet your company’s needs.
There are many considerations when determining the right specifications for your needs. Thickness is one area that can determine strength but not the only one. The material choice and combination of multi-layer film is another. The weight and shape of a product that needs to be packaged has a major role in determining what the proper packaging will be.
Plastics available to us have many different attributes, such as:
- Elasticity and Toughness: The plastic’s ability to deform without breaking.
- Chemical Resistance: How resistant a plastic when it comes into contact with chemicals. This is important if you are storing first aid or cleaning products, for example.
- Insulation: How resistant the plastic is to electricity. This is important when storing electronic components.
- Creep: How well the plastic retains its shape after a lot of bending and/or flexing.
- Opacity: The degree to which the plastic will allow light to pass through it.
How is the thickness of heavy duty bags measured
Plastic Film thickness is generally expressed in mils if using the imperial system, one thousands of an inch, and microns when referring to thickness using the metric system. There are 1,000 microns in a millimeter.
Don’t get confused between millimeters (mm) and mils. One millimeter is 39 mils thick. One mil is 0.24 millimeters.
A standard piece of photocopier paper is roughly 4 mils thick.
At PolyPak, we have heavy duty packing bags in stock ranging from three mils to six mils, but can custom design any product with a thickness as light as 1.5 mil and as heavy as 8 mil
How to Choose Your Heavy Duty Plastic Bag
If you’re not sure what type of heavy duty plastic bag will fit your business’s needs, it’s best to get in contact with a reputable provider that has a large range of options. Speak with a trusted professional in this industry, who will be able to recommend the most reliable cost-effective option for you.
For information about our company and what we offer, please visit us online https://www.polypak.com/ or call 800.826.4000 to speak with a company representative.